Health officials in Massachusetts and Rhode Island confirmed a bachelorette party that occurred last month in the Ocean State is now linked to nearly 20 COVID-19 cases.
Of 20 guests who attended the party, 19 tested positive for COVID-19. Seventeen of the sick partygoers are from Massachusetts, while two are from Rhode Island, Joseph Wendelken, spokesperson for the Rhode Island Department of Health confirmed to The Hill.
A Massachusetts Department of Public Health official said the department learned of the cluster earlier this month, the Boston Globe reported. The individuals rented a house together in Rhode Island for the event.
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R), appeared to mention the cluster during a news conference Tuesday.
“There was a wedding that we figured out through our contact-tracing program that took place in Rhode Island, where a number of people from Massachusetts went to it. Everyone who went to that wedding except one person tested positive for COVID,” Baker said, calling the event a wedding.
Baker encouraged residents to continue social distancing, wear masks, frequently wash their hands and more.
“These are the things we all have the power and control over to do to limit the spread of the virus, so we should continue to do them,” Baker said.
Earlier this month, Maine health officials linked dozens of coronavirus cases to a wedding reception approximately 70 miles north of Bangor.