CINNAMINSON, NJ — The Planet Fitness in Cinnaminson is among gyms statewide that will be permitted to open after Gov. Phil Murphy announced gyms can finally reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic.
New Jersey Coronavirus Updates: Don’t miss local and statewide announcements about novel coronavirus precautions. Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters.
“Fitness centers are critical to the mental, physical and financial health for New Jerseyans, and we are grateful that Governor Murphy has announced that we can reopen with safety protocols in place,” said Craig Benson, who operates 18 Planet Fitness locations in the state. “Throughout the reopening process, we will continue to collaborate with local, county and state health officials to ensure that our members can work out again in a safe, clean, and welcoming environment, and our staff can get back to work.”
William Olson also operates 18 Planet Fitness gyms in New Jersey.
“The health and safety of our members, our staff, and the local communities we serve is inherent to our mission and values,” Olson said. “We want to thank Governor Murphy for working with us so that we can safely reopen with strict guidelines in place, which will empower us to help our members improve their physical and mental health during these challenging times. Investing in the health and safety of our communities is the most important role we play, and we will always treat that with the seriousness it deserves.”
According to Planet Fitness representatives, there are nearly 491,000 members and more than 3,000 people employed by Planet Fitness in the state. Planet Fitness gyms in New Jersey will implement the following health and safety protocols:
- Limited capacity to comply with social distancing
- Advanced air filtration systems with high-grade filters
- Masks required at all times
- High-tech electrostatic disinfecting sprayers for the gym and equipment
- Touchless check-in
- Reconfiguration of equipment to ensure each machine is at least six feet apart and is in a forward-facing direction (decreasing face to face risk)
- Well-stocked cleaning stations with hand sanitizer
- Posters explaining best- health practices displayed throughout gym
- Cleaning of machines before and after each use
- One-way flow for foot traffic
- Temperature checks for staff members at the start of each shift in addition to health questionnaire
- Ample supply of PPE equipment for staff and members including masks and gloves
- More than 40% of those surveyed say they experienced a mental or behavioral health condition connected to the COVID-19 crisis
- After voters hear the specific safety precautions that those venues will follow, as well as other factors, support for reopening gyms in NJ grew to 69%
Murphy is expected to provide more detail about the announcement during a 1 p.m. news conference. Read more: WATCH LIVE: Gov. Phil Murphy Issues NJ Coronavirus, Reopen Update