GAYLORD — The Health Department of Northwest Michigan said a restaurant/bar in Gaylord has been identified as a potential low-risk, public exposure site for COVID-19.
If you were at Tap Room 32, 140 W.Main St., on Aug. 18 from 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., health officials ask that you self-monitor for symptoms. Officials said the Tap Room is working with the health department to ensure its customers and employees are safe. For questions about testing or potential exposure, call the health department at (800) 432-4121.
Meanwhile, the coronavirus case count continues to rise in Northern Michigan. As of Wednesday, the health department said Otsego County had 121 cases and 11 deaths. A week earlier, Otsego’s counts stood at 116 cases and 11 deaths.
Antrim County had 47 cases and no deaths from the virus as of Wednesday. Charlevoix had 65 cases and two deaths while Emmet County reported 100 cases and two deaths.
Last week Antrim had 41 cases and no deaths, while Charlevoix County had 54 cases and two deaths and Emmet was reporting 80 cases and two deaths.
The health department said social gatherings continue to present a higher risk of transmission. During case investigations, many new cases in the department’s four-county (Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet and Otsego) jurisdiction have reported attending social gatherings, which, in many cases, leads to more close contacts instructed to isolate and self-monitor.
“It is necessary that everyone attending gatherings take the required safety precautions to protected themselves and prevent the spread of COVID-19,” Health Officer Lisa Peacock said.
“The pandemic risk indicators on the mistartmap.info dashboard continue to keep us in a medium risk category across Region 6, the Traverse City Region,” added Peacock. “However, when we dig deeper into these same indicators by county, it allows us to see a little more of the local trends and reminds us that clusters of cases and individual cases are still happening all around us. The best protection is when everyone is able to follow all of the required and recommended protective measures.”
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) said as of Wednesday the state was reporting 99,200 confirmed cases and 6,424 deaths.
The first two confirmed COVID-19 cases in Michigan were reported March 10 and the first death was reported March 19.
Neighboring Crawford County had 104 cases and five deaths as of Wednesday, while Cheboygan County had 56 cases and two deaths.