The orders Trump signed would provide an extra $400 in unemployment benefits, suspend some student loan payments and protect renters from eviction.
An extra $400 in weekly unemployment benefits proposed by President Donald Trump over the weekend has yet to be approved by Vermont, as Gov. Phil Scott weighs whether the state could fund such a program.
An executive order signed by the president Saturday would provide benefits to laid off workers, as long as state governments contributed a quarter, or $100, of the weekly payments individuals would receive.
The executive order comes in light of prolonged deadlock between the Trump administration and Congress on a second stimulus package.
Coronavirus stimulus: Trump signs executive orders extending benefits
Vermont Gov. Phil Scott speaks at a news conference on Sept. 26, 2019, in Essex Junction, Vermont, where he said he supported an impeachment inquiry into the actions of President Donald Trump. (Photo: Wilson Ring, AP)
Funding for state contributions is expected to come from the Coronavirus Relief Fund distributed to states through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act passed in late March. Money from the Coronavirus Relief Fund has been used by local governments to address critical expenses related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Governor Scott and his team are committed to doing all they can to support Vermonters in need, so we are carefully reviewing the measures in the President’s executive order and how we could act on, and fund, them here in Vermont,” Rebecca Kelley, Soctt’s communications director, wrote in an email.
Trump executive orders on COVID-19 relief:Top 3 unanswered questions
President Donald Trump holds up a signed Executive Order on hiring American workers, during a meeting with U.S. tech workers, in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Monday, Aug. 3, 2020, in Washington. (Photo: Associated Press)
For the past several months Vermont workers who lost their jobs due to the pandemic have been able to collect an extra $600 weekly in unemployment insurance. That additional payment, also known as the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC), expired at the end of July.
Scott said that Congress is not moving as quick as they should be in terms of coming to an agreement to continue unemployment benefits at an Aug. 11 press conference.
“I am very concerned about those who are unemployed at this point in time,” Scott said at the press conference. “I think they need some assistance. To have the $600 cease last week, I think is problematic.”
According to Scott, the state is continuing to asses where the money will come from.
“We are assessing that as we speak and want to implement that just as quick as possible just as a stop gap measure until Congress takes action,” he said.
There is no confirmed date for the arrival of the extra $400 weekly unemployment benefit.
Contact Ethan Bakuli at (802) 556-1804 or [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @BakuliEthan.
This coverage is only possible with support from our readers. Sign up today for a subscription to the Burlington Free Press.
Read or Share this story: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/money/2020/08/10/gov-scott-weighs-funding-extra-400-unemployment-benefits/3339591001/